Slider Height and Width

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Edited Mar 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

From past experiences with hand coded sliders, if a W x H is not defined, an occasional image may display as a small thumbnail (which has happened several times to me already) and only a browser refresh will correct it, which is not something to expect your end user to do.

In trying to set the width and height in this slider module, it always retains the height value as AUTO. Plus I do not even see the height listed in the view source values at runtime:

{jQuery('#divWnsSlideShow_257').cycle({fx: 'uncover',pause: 1,speed: 2000,width: '900px'}
I'm using the Install version.
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM

The height is not being specified intentionally.  Please be more specific...  Are you experiencing issues with this module, or attempting to force the height and width?

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I am experiencing an issue with trying to set the height, as noted above. It only saves as AUTO, it never accepts my defined value.

Plus the height is not being injected into the runtime code. I am using the Install version 01.02.00 of this module on DNN v6.01.03

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I am having that issue too. On initial page load, images display as thumbnails. When browser is refreshed, everything is cool. Any thoughts?

Coordinator
May 4, 2012 at 6:37 AM

If you want, you can override the height attribute in your own CSS.  Use the same selector that assigns "auto" and instead assign your own height.  Just be sure to include !important in your own reference to force the CSS to be applied.

May 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Hi,

I have seen this behaviour too, on FF, IE9 and Chrome. Cannot reproduce and not sure why it happens.

Franco

May 22, 2012 at 4:33 PM
Edited May 22, 2012 at 4:52 PM

QUESTION: where is the mentioned selector that assigns "auto"?

This workaround might be ideal for one with access to and knowledge of the stylesheet, but for an end user (my customers) that is not an option. Especially if they load multiple instances of the Slider module throughout their site, I'll be the one modifying the heights for each of them :-)

Basically what I am stating is that the default HEIGHT value in settings is AUTO - but it cannot be changed and saved. Also, the jQuery runtime code (HTML output of the slider) does not even have HEIGHT in the cycle attributes/values, only the WIDTH. Here is the view source:
{jQuery('#divWnsSlideShow_257').cycle({fx: 'uncover',pause: 1,speed: 2000,width: '900px'} Is it possible for you to correct this issue on your next release?

The random rendering of a small thumbail (instead of the full size slide) is usually due to one of the W x H values not being defined. There are many forums out there where this issue is discussed, but I found this one to be the most helpful for me:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2082863/jquery-cycle-showing-small-images-at-first-load

I am using the Install version 01.02.00 of this module on DNN v6.01.05

THANKS

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I fixed it by adding the following on the portal.css file something like this:

.wns-slideshow-image-1, .wns-slideshow-image-2, .wns-slideshow-image-3, .wns-slideshow-image-4 {
 height: 200px !important;
 width: 300px !important; }
It needs to be added for each image, otherwise the image missing the property will go back to thumbnail size.
Of course, if you have more than one instance of the module on your website then you should add the module id in front (of the kind divWnsSlideShow_xyz).
Franco
Coordinator
Jul 11, 2012 at 4:20 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.